Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Face Wash




Does anybody else hate spending tons of money on the same things over and over again?  It is seriously one of my biggest pet peeves.  I absolutely hate buying face wash.  I always think, "Oh, I can just use soap..." but there I am again a few weeks later buying more expensive face wash because I'm breaking out.  Again.  (I thought once you weren't a teenager anymore that was supposed to stop.)

I was looking up some homemade recipes for face wash and came across the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM).  I almost laughed out loud as I thought, "Clean my oily face with oil?  Get real."  But then I read this:

"Fact: Oil dissolves oil. One of the most basic principals of chemistry is that "like dissolves like." The best way to desolve a non-polar solvent like sebum/oil, is by using another non-polar solvent similar in composition: Other oils. By using the right oils, you can cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, while replacing the dirty oil with beneficial ones extracted from natural botanicals, vegetables and fruit that heal, protect and nourish your skin. When done properly and consistently, the OCM can clear the skin from issues like oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin, blackheads, whiteheads and other problems caused by mild to moderateacne--while leaving your skin healthy, balanced and properly moisturized."  [From acne.org]


So, I figured I'd give it a try.  For my oily skin, I mix 3 Tb. Castor oil with 1 Tb. extra virgin olive oil.  That's it.  I put it in an empty lotion container so I can use it more easily and since I have some tea tree oil, I add one drop of that with it.  Then you rub it on your dry face, run a washcloth under HOT water, then drape the washcloth on your face until it becomes room temperature.  (This part is my favorite because it's so relaxing.)  Then scrub it off.  It's also a great makeup remover.


I feel like my face has never been better.  I was a little frustrated because I found this right before I had Eliza, got my skin cleared up, then my hormones went out of control again after I had her.  Now that things have settled down, I'm loving my skin again.  And the best part is that it only costs a few cents every time I make it.  In fact, the first time I made a batch (doubled - so 6 Tb. Castor oil and 2 Tb. extra virgin olive oil) it lasted me about 2 months.  We always have olive oil on hand and the Castor oil cost under $2.  


I did find I still need an exfoliant scrub, so about twice a week I'll pour some of my concoction in a little bowl and mix in some sugar and give my face a good scrubbing.   Cause, really, what's better than sugar on your face? 

2 comments:

Perkins Family on June 8, 2010 at 10:03 PM said...

Thanks for sharing! Is there a different recipe for dry skin?

The Mitchells on June 8, 2010 at 10:06 PM said...

Just change the ratio of Castor oil to Olive Oil. For normal skin, 2:2 (2 Tb. Castor oil to 2 Tb. olive oil)
For oily skin, 3:1
For dry skin, 1:3

Post a Comment